Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Alaska Airlines testimonials via YELP

"I love Alaska Airlines!!!. Mostly I love it because their policies are flexible and I can earn free flights very easily. The website is superb and easy to get your business taken care of.

The flights themselves are on par with any other domestic airline. I take plenty of short flights and it is a breeze. they are flying many more places now which is great."




"Customer service: Good. Everyone was friendly and helpful. I liked the staff here.

Punctuality: Nonexistent, but out of their control most of the time (weather, national security, whatever.)

Amenities: Negligible in both First Class and Economy. After experiencing both, I am ok with the Economy (it is "Economy," after all) but really disappointed with 1st. The First Class seats are bigger than Economy, but not nicer. The food sucks: melon-heavy fruit salad, apathetic frozen pizza, pretzels. I see the Yelp photos of warm, chubby omelets and verdant spinach salads in First Class, but those must be pre-cession or perhaps longer distance flights. It's helpful to have one bathroom for fewer people but that was the only real benefit.

Planes: Do not assuage my nervousness about flight. Cleanliness was OK but something about the finish and upholstery choices screamed "Red Flag" to me. The red flag being that the company doesn't care too much beyond the bare minimum, and instead chooses the cheapest possible everything. If this is true for upholstery, is it also true for mechanics... insulation... bolts?

Overall: Frugality is a trait I appreciate in, say, a Costco, but not in a machine that carries me 35,000+ feet above the earth. The experience actually resembles being trapped inside a small Costco in its material finishes and atmosphere. Except you cannot buy a coffin, digital camera, or 50lb sack of potatoes here. You know why? Alaska Air doesn't even have SkyMall in the seat pouches. No SkyMall?!?! That is the suck.

Advice: Stick to economy because 1st is not worth it. First Class Perks = skipping lines, lounge with (low quality) free food and alcohol, free alcohol on planes. The price difference between First Class & Economy is a few hundred or thousand $. Buying your own Yoplait, bagel, and box-level booze if you want it is like $20. Do the math.

Conclusion: I will only fly Alaska when it is substantially cheaper than other airlines, or when it is the only airline to a particular destination. Seating, amenities, and food in economy class in airlines like Virgin America and Continental (not to mention Swiss, British, Virgin Atlantic...) are still better than the First Class of Alaska."




"Another star for Alaska. Their customer service ninjas got in touch with me based on my Yelp review. I like that they take customer satisfaction seriously. Good for you Alaska, for stepping up to the plate and trying to make a not-so good situation better."




"The counter guy was rude and stuck-up, but the flight crew was friendly, humorous and offered great customer service.

I'm usually a fan of Hawaiian airlines, but in all honestly the customer service that Hawaiian is praised for has a new competitor (in my opinion) .
I really appreciated the fact that Alaskan is attempting to be eco-friendly and recycle as much on-flight trash as possible."

No comments:

Post a Comment